Sunday, November 18, 2007

Consider the YouTube phenomenon: easy access to millions of videos shared by people around the world. If you want to hear a specific song you can find it with a quick search, and usually there are many versions from which to choose. Unknown, unsigned artists can create a huge fanbase by posting performances. People can post parts of their lives or create a personality for the viewing pleasure of thousands of loyal subscribers. The search term "Laughing Baby" turns up 10,200 results. The all-time most watched video is entitled "Evolution of Dance" and has been viewed 65,031,195 times.

These "viral videos" have not only created a culture but garnered fame for their creators. Not only can it be used as a marketing tool [by companies like BlendTec, known for their "Will It Blend?" videos] but it is a place where you can stumble across untold numbers of strange, offbeat things.

I will leave you with an example [which has been viewed more than 350,000 times]:



I really have nothing profound to say about YouTube... I suppose it's profound enough in its own right. I will however post the link to my "favorites" page, for a somewhat filtered example to fit with this post.

http://www.youtube.com/profile_favorites?user=kYels1

1 comment:

JamesF said...

Saw your comment over on Strangers Among Us about joining (at least I'm assuming that was you, if not, feel free to ignore the following).

Send me an email so I can have your email address (you can get my email address from my profile). We'll have the blog founders consider your request and provided they all agree grant you access. We're pretty easy going but I will say that we will retain the right to do as we please for the most part (unless you post material that's objectionable though I don't see it being an issue).